Oct 2, 2008

A Post About Politics* Please do not be afraid...its not an endorsement*

I have a pet peeve. It usually only happens once a year. Sometimes I only notice it once every four years. During election years (especially elections as big as this years) it is sometimes the tendency for people to trash talk one candidate or the other. Websites, emails and videos pop up accusing one candidate or another of things that supporters believe could sway voting. Usually they not nice. Actually, I don't recall one that was nice. They are malicious, disrespectful and in poor taste and I HATE THEM!

I think this is part of the reason why there is such a huge divide in our country. Republicans and Democrats have a hard time coming together to combat important issues, states are labeled red and blue, families are divided and people become their worst selves. Since I've been a member of the voting population - (3 elections) no presidential candidate has one with a HUGE majority. Elections are dividing our country!

I believe in supporting a candidate! I believe in the importance of voting! *PLEASE VOTE* and I believe that after November 4, it is our duty as Americans to support our president. How much harder will that be if we have hard feelings against them before they even become president? There are a lot of things that I wish were different about our own electoral process and political parties, but they are not things that I can change single-handedly.

Please remember that no matter what your beliefs - you will have a new president in January. Make sure you prepare yourself for the possibility that it could be either candidate - not just the one you voted for.

This year I would like to challenge you to research the issues, watch the debates (tonight @ 7pm - all channels), make informed decisions as you enter the voting booth. Don't listen to negative propaganda or political endorsements, but instead find the candidate that most embodies an all around view of your political beliefs. And remember not to get caught up in negativity. Because no matter what your religious beliefs are - both candidates are human beings and we all come from the same place and have the same feelings. And furthermore, its just not nice.

2 comments:

Eve said...

I love you. I have a really hard time watching the debates though. It's hard not to see the puppet strings, the "advice" coming through in their answers. I don't think we get a clear idea of who they are--rather we hear clear coaching. I got sick listening to McCain constantly question Obama's experience. I was equally sickened by Obama continually connecting McCain with Bush. Both men were using political strategy and it made my tummy sick.

Luckily, these are both very good men and despite my clear party affiliation, I feel good about where our country is headed either way. (so long as McCain doesn't kick the bucket.)

Great post!!

Ben and Summer said...

I COMPLETELY agree. I can't stand all the negativity either, and it makes it so difficult to feel like we see the clear picture. Great post!