Jan 11, 2011

today I feel like venting.

Plain and simple, I'm having a moment.

You know those times when you just want to scream at people?  I have given my notice at work and as my time winds down I feel less tolerant of people.  Not just any "people", only the stupid ones.

Today I had to deal with two boys who paid their deposits this morning and want a bed to sleep in tonight.  Tonight!  I usually like 3 days to make sure beds are in place, rooms are clean and vacuumed, roommates are made known, rent is paid and contracts are signed.  But no.  These boys call me and beg for a room because they are currently enormous procrastinators "homeless".  Is it my fault they waited until the day after school starts to find a place to live?

So, my maintenance guy goes to an apartment with two openings.  He knocks on the door.  There is no answer. He walks in and says, "maintenance".  He sees three boys huddled in a circle doing who-knows-what.  They become enraged that he "walked in un-invited".  To make a really long story short, one of the roommates comes into my office and tells me that if this happens again he will "beat the sh** out of someone".  Hmmm.  Harassment for doing our jobs? Yes. Now my boss wants me to evict him.  Oh goody.  I get to wait for his parents to call and scream at me and threaten to sue me.  Can't wait.

Finally, I have to tell you what happened on Sunday night/early Monday morning.
It was 2:45 am and Gracie and I were up watching T.V.  Well, I was.  She was eating.  I see red flashing lights outside my window and I look out to see a fire engine, 2 ambulance and 3 cop cars! What the ?  Why didn't anyone call me?  I go out and inspect, only to find a cop who wont tell me anything, an empty stretcher and a resident who walks away from me when I ask him what's going on.  Later I find out they took someone (a non-resident friend, who was "sleeping over") to the hospital.  Of course, the police wont divulge any information and unless I'm someone special I can't find out why he was admitted to the hospital.  Hmph.  Oh well.
Today I find out it was a DRUG OVERDOSE.  On my property.  In one of my apartments.  So now I have to figure out how to evict someone (who I also believe is doing drugs) without proof.  Because in a courtroom, I have to have proof.  I'm just livid that this is happening here and people are so stupid.

On top of it all, I burned dinner.  I think I was most upset about that.

I cried a little bit.
But then Justin came home with a Coke for me and I felt happier.

I love that man.

So there it is.  This is why I am quitting my job.  The reasons why I have loved working here are all about the people.  I love getting to know these kids and feeling like I've helped them make a smooth transition out of mom and dad's house.  But I hate having to tell Ema that I can't help her with her homework until after 5.  I hate telling Bracken that I can't listen to his story because there is someone in the office.  I hate feeling like I can't hold Gracie because I have to type something up and deliver it.

Because, you know what?  NOTHING is as important as my kids right now.  NOTHING.  They are my world.  My everything.  I cherish the time I have left with them still at home.

I am grateful for my hard-working husband who spends so many hours working so this resignation is possible.

So there it is.  My rant is over and I feel much better.  Thanks for that.

If you've made it this far, then you must be family.  Actually I am not sure that my mom will even read this.  I think she just looks for pictures of the kids on my blog. Pretty sure my dad will though, but he likes words.  I think he even reads the dictionary.

Love you all!

6 comments:

Lynette said...

I read it, the WHOLE THING! I love you and I am so happy that you will soon be in your own home where you can love those little grandkids of mine all the time!

Eve said...

I love reading your stuff. If I wasn't so sick, I'd come down and we could do a stake out and bust some punks!! Cause we're awesome crimesolvers. Remember Tuncies? Yeah....

Dad said...

Yes, I did read it. And I am glad you were able to vent. I love you. I'm proud of you. I think you are an awesome person! Dad

Julie said...

I'm sorry you are frustrated! But I loved the way you wrote the story. Very entertaining! I hate stupid kids too. Seriously.

Monica Fox said...

I read it! All the way. Stupid people DO suck and you are SO right about your kids. They still think you're the cats-meow, so live it up. They'll be teenagers on day. Also, you're too nice to have that job. Did your "vent" make you feel better? I hope so :)

Rachel said...

Ugh, seriously I know exactly how you feel!!!!!!! That is why I quit the RA thing the last year we were in student housing. It is TOO MUCH. People think all you have time for is to solve their problems they caused by being dumb. I am so glad you quit and can now spend time doing more mom things! AWESOME!!!!!! You'll love all the free time. :)