May 4, 2009

It happened.

I got a job!

It was a bit against my will, but I decided that it was probably a good idea to take the offer.

Let me explain.

Six months ago we were homeless. Justin had gotten a job, but we still weren't making enough to get a place of our own. So I drew up a resume and started the job hunt. (I should post my resume on here. It would make you giggle. I have very little work experience, so it all revolves around church, school and motherhood). Anyway - we applied for a job to be "Resident Managers" at an apartment complex by Dixie. We didn't ever hear back from these people, Justin was given raises, we moved out, etc.
Last Friday Justin received an email from the owners of this apartment complex asking if we might be interested in coming in and interviewing. This caused a bit of contention between us because I like my apartment, my ward, my life as it is. I knew that they would want us to move there and I didn't know if I was completely willing to make a change like that. But I went anyway.

When we showed up at the interview, they explained that they were no longer hiring for the position we originally applied for. They were now hiring a "Property Manager". Wow-za! I don't have ANY EXPERIENCE managing. Unless you count my kids - but I'm not really good at that. I would be in charge of all office duties, managing resident managers, room assignments for residents (aka college kids), and helping plan activities.

The first interview went well and Justin and I had a little tiff about whether or not this was right for us. We agreed to disagree and weigh the options later (which we never did, LOL). On Tuesday the owner called back and wanted to see us for a second interview. This is when the crying began. I just had that FEELING. You know what I am talking about - uncertainty, apprehension, fear, knowledge that something is going to happen - I had a feeling that if we went in for a second interview they would offer us the job. For some reason they wanted to see both of us, but it would be me working in the office three days a week. I cried a couple buckets of tears and we went in for the second interview. An hour later they called Justin and offered the job to him!?!?
I started training that afternoon and worked Thursday & Friday also.
For some reason this is what I am supposed to be doing right now. My greatest comfort is that the kids will be able to play in our apartment (connected to the office) while I work. As things have calmed down and I have worked a few days, I see how this will be a blessing in our lives and a way for us to accomplish the things we've been aiming toward.
There are so many things that have happened this past week that have made me realize this is what the Lord has planned for me:
  • The owners wife found out the current Property Manager was leaving and needed to interview someone fast. She then found our resume tucked away on her desk at her office. Fate? Maybe. Possibly just luck? Probably!
  • If they would have emailed Justin a week earlier or a week later - we would haven't been able to interview.
  • Every time I tell someone what the circumstances and pay are going to be they tell me I'd be silly to turn it down.
  • I am finally going to get real work experience in a field that should provide future job opportunities.
  • If I let go of my own expectations for my life - it feels right.

So, I have a job! Here is the property website so you can see where we'll be for the next year. Wish me luck - - I'm going to need it those weeks Justin is gone and I have 250 college kids to deal with!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Congrats!!! That is so exciting!

Brooke said...

I still can't believe this all happened and so fast. We will so miss you in the ward, but I hope you are willing to work together so Lindsay and Ema can still play sometimes. Lindsay is so sad. She asked why everyone was moving away. . . Everyone being you and Melanies family. She had a hard time the day they left.

Fun with the Fenton's said...

Wow! Sounds like you have a really great experience ahead of you! Sometimes our lives don't end up going in the direction we anticipate...we know all about that. I hope things turn out well for you and the family! Keep us updated!

Unknown said...

Ahh, apartment life. My parents were property managers for the first 15 years of my life. Be prepared, if you're good, to move around a lot. And make sure you kids play by the rules, b/c they will be watched very carefully by other kids and parents. And b/c they will be the managers kids, most kids won't want to play with them. At least, that's what happened to me. Also, if you have any trouble, someone might want to take it out on your kids. I remember a couple of times where my life was threaten and had to have security guards outside my window for a few nights.
But congrats on the job! My mom loved working in the office and with the tenets.

Damaris said...

Congratulations! Don't you love how life never goes the way you plan it? At least not for us :) I'm glad you can have your kids there while you work. I love that part of working from home. BTW, my SIL did apartment managing for years and she and her kids LOVED it. I hope you do too!

Michelle said...

You will be fantastic! And what about no work experience? What about all those years at good old Alpha Tech? I love it that I can still but my dad as a reference now that we have different last names! I love it how Heavenly Father knows what we need and places it in front of us. Congrats!

Sunflower Mama said...

Is that really how many students live there? I'm so proud of you! That did happen awful fast. So I think it's great and I hope you love it! RU going to Bunko??