Aug 18, 2010

Boring post about my blood pressure to follow:

I'm on "trial" bed rest right now because my blood pressure is super high.  It's still so early for me to have this baby, so the Dr. is trying to get my bp down so that I don't slip into toxemia or start to have seizures.  They did a non-stress test on the baby and she seems to be doing fine, but the high blood pressure is boggling my mind.

Last night I went and had an hour long massage.  It was amazing.  I was so relaxed and felt great afterward.  So I took my bp immediately after and it was STILL HIGH.  Argh.  This is starting to make me mad.
Bed rest will be HARD because I work from home.  I can't just call my boss and say "um, sorry. I can't come in today or for the next few months".  Justin is mad because he thinks I should just do that.  No one understands.

This place is like my step-child.  It wasn't my creation, but I have taken so much time and energy into making it run smoothly and profitably.  I am so completely invested in what goes on here.  And right now is the busiest time of the year.  We're trying to get 275 kids moved in and settled before Monday when school starts.  I have an assistant manager who is still training and we are trying to remodel/move things around.


As I write all this down, I think I may have figured out why my bp is so high.

Suggestions would be GREAT.  Here are some things I've considered to lower the bp:
1. Cutting salt out of my diet.  My grandma suggested asking for french fries w/o it and avoiding restaurants with menus high in salt.  As much as the thought of fries w/o salt makes me want to gag - I think this is something I could do.
2. Yoga - I think I need to start everyday with some yoga.  Is it too late in the pregnancy to start something like this?
3. Buying a recliner for the office.  That way I can be SUPER relaxed and chill while I'm working.  You don't think it would look too unprofessional, do you?
4. Try to get more than 4 hours of sleep each night.  And maybe take naps.  With Ema, I napped DAILY.  With Bracken, I napped a few times each week.  This baby? NEVER.  Who has the time?  Now I have a job and two kids.  "Nap" is no longer in my vocab.

Ok, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.  I really DON'T want to do this bed rest thing for another month +, but I will do it if I have to.

I go back to the Dr. on Thursday.

Bracken starts kindergarten today.  Better go wake him up.


4 comments:

Steve and Donna said...

HI- with my first one I retained alot of water to the point it was getting dangerous also and I was going to school. The Dr. said I had to rest at least 4 hours a day and lay on my left side. I could also develop toxemia. Not sure what my blood pressure was but it was like carrying around a gallon of water (of course all showing up in my legs)

Brooke said...

Just do what the Dr. says cause you don't want to have that baby this early. Now that both Ema and Braken are back in school take a nap while both are gone. You need to talk to your boss and see what you can work out. Be a good girl, even if it is hard!

Michelle said...

while Zac was on his OB rotation, he learned that bed rest really does no good, the doctors just do that because they have no other idea of what to do and mostly to cover their butts. It has been proven in studies that it doesn't really help. So does that help??? But, Zac's not your doctor, so you should probably do what yours says....he's probably been a doctor a little longer than Zac. It would only take 2 more months to beat him....hang in there, at least you aren't like all my friends here with the crazy heat AND humidity. They all want to die!

Tarah said...

My only suggestion would be to call your world's worst VT'er (ehem....sorry) and make her make you dinner for those days you are really stressed out...or make her clean your house...or answer phone calls, or something...Yep, that's what I think you should do (and accept her apology for being awful at VTing. Not that it helps in anyway, but I do think about you lots!)