Oct 1, 2010

Gracie Mae is here!


Gracie Mae Moss was born Saturday September 25, 2010 at 11:58am
She weighed in at a slim 6lbs 13oz and measured 19.5" long
She was 10 days early.
Here is her story:

All day Friday: I was having sporatic contractions, but nothing hard and consistent.  
6pm: Dinner at Iggy's and a funny movie (Easy A) we came home and started the bedtime routine. 
10pm: I got severe pain in my left kidney.  (Sometimes I can just lay down and have the pain subside, but nothing seemed to work.)  
Midnight: After an hour or two of the pain only getting worse (and contractions getting stronger), we decided to head to the E.R. 
At this point, I called my mom and she informed me that she had just taken a Tylenol P.M, so tonight would not be a great night to take the 4 hour drive to St. George.  I reassured her that things were going to be fine, I was just going to get some pain relief.
When I got to the E.R they took my blood pressure and it was extremely high. When they hooked me up to monitor the baby and realized I was also having contractions they decided to call the Dr. The highest my bp got was 160/115.  It was at that point they decided to induce me. (I guess blood pressure that high can cause seizures)

2:30am I called my mom and and told her they were starting me.  She woke up, showered and started the drive (do I have a great mom, or what?). 

3:30am I recieved an epidural and the pain in my kidney finally subsided.  Because of the high blood pressure, they put me on an IV of magnesium sulfate.  Basically, the "mag" (as the nurses kept calling it) dialates all the capillaries in your body in an effort to lower your blood pressure.  Because of this, I had nausea and blurred/double vision the entire time I was laboring.  I lost all function of my legs and there were many times I had to have my mom and Justin literally HOLD me up so I could throw up.  It was miserable.  I wouldn't wish this "mag" on anyone.

7:30am My mom showed up in St. George!  It was such a relief to have her there safe.  I think the thoughts of a daughter in labor kept her awake for the drive :)

9am: Someone took this great picture of me.  (I believe I was on the phone with my dad canceling our noon lunch date)  Notice the barf bag on the bed.  

The labor went quick.   I was ready to push at 11:54 (notice the look of fear on my face.  It was at this point that I realized I had to get her OUT of me somehow and there was NO RETURN after that)


 and she arrived at 11:58!

She was SO tiny.  But strong and healthy!  

I had to spend an extra day in the hospital because of my blood pressure, but we're home now and adjusting to life as a family of 5!  Ema and Bracken are such good helpers and seem excited to have a little sister.  Justin has all but completely devoured her.  

Our lives have officially been changed FOREVER!
Ema said she felt like she was living in a dream.

Sweet Bracken with his little sister

Ready to leave the hospital and take on the adventure of a newborn!


Did I mention she's going to have BLUE EYES?????? 


8 comments:

Damaris said...

I'm sorry the labor was miserable, but she is a doll and I am so happy for you that she is here. Congratulations!

Heather said...

Congratulations!! She looks so small compared to Ema!!

Karma said...

Congrats, She is so adorable. I love the pictures of Emma and Bracken with her.

Brooke said...

What a story! I guess child # 3 has to have some sort of story. LOL
She is beautiful. So happy for you guys. We will come see her soon. We have had head colds at our house, so I don't want to come till I know for sure we are over them.

Teresa & Tim Chavey said...

I am so glad you are both healthy and that you have such a happy family.

Steve and Donna said...

well- your family beat you to the punch they were so excited to tell the news but it is nice to see your version of it (hah).

Clark Family said...

Alicia! I loved catching up on your blog and birth story! LOVE it! Yea for your cute family!!

Anonymous said...

She is BEAUTIFUL and Gracie is one of my all time favorite names! Congrats to you and your family :)