May 1, 2008

a decade older

I turned 30 this week. I can't believe it. Really. I'm still in shock.

Because of this, I have been really retrospective. Thinking about my life, the choices I've made and all that has occurred since I turned 20 - a decade ago.
  • I went on a mission
  • Got married
  • Had a baby
  • Sent my husband to war
  • Had another baby
  • Got him back safe and sound
  • Passed a billion kidney stones
  • Gained a testimony of tivo
  • Was Relief Society President while going to school full-time (and I lived to talk about it)
  • Finally finished my Bachelors Degree
  • And lots of stuff in the middle that doesn't seem to matter as much
I took a class this semester called "Adult Development & Aging". What a great class! My professor sent an email to the class on my birthday:

"If you get nothing else out of this class, remember:
  • Don't smoke, eat healthy and exercise!
  • Adapt to aging instead of fighting it
  • Keep your friends and family close - they are what makes it all worth it in the end.
  • And keep up an optimistic and humorous outlook on life."
And so, on that note I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you who emailed, texted or called me on my birthday. I am so grateful to have such a great social support system *that's a sociologist term for friends*.

Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

I survived my 30th Birthday. Pictures will follow...I promise. Let me get through finals week.


7 comments:

Eve said...

Happy Birthday Sister Bush! I look at the list of things you've accomplished and I'm so impressed. Turning 30 was refreshing and depressing. I feel like I could care less about what the world thinks about me now--but I care a lot more about what I think of me--and it's kicking my butt! So there. Words from a woman who's been 30 all of 3 months longer. (such wisdom, I know!;)

Unknown said...

It's amazing what we can do in a decade! For me, you are a great example of what I want to be when I grow up!! I truly hope that you have another wonderful and amazing 10 years.

*Katie* said...

Happy birthday friend! hope it was awesome ... we're going to miss you guys!

Paul Rama said...

Just remember--you don't get older, you only get BETTER!!! I really believe this is true. I think back to when we were in Dallas and it's amazing how much one can grow in a decade. Especially after a mission, marriage, and kids!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday!!!! You are an incredible girl and in that decade you changed a million lives for the better. :)

Morgan & Heidi Taylor said...

Wow you've done a lot over the past decade. I don't know how you were the RS president while going to school full time & taking care of your family! You sound like what I hope I could be! Hope you had a great birthday! It's good that some of us moss' have a blog we should get the rest to follow. Thanks for always leaving comments on my blog- & Justin too! And I didn't pierce my belly button. I was going to take the joke further but some people thought i'd gone off the deep end!.

Chase, Amy, and Carter said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Sorry I missed it...I hope you did something fun and exciting. Something a little crazy! I can't believe you are 30....You look too young to be 30...seriously. Miss you!