Nov 6, 2009

My Gratitude List


When I was a missionary I had a big posterboard size paper where I would write things I was grateful for.  By the time I came home, I had it completely filled up with things ranging from "toes" to "my family".  I hung it in a place where I would see it daily and it would remind me to take a minute to think about something different that I was grateful for each and every day. It meant a lot to me.  I realized how healthy it is to keep an "attitude of gratitude" and to be consistently and honestly thinking about our blessings.

That year for Christmas I decided that as a newly returned missionary I would give everyone a "Gratitude Poster".  Needless to say, it did not go over as planned and I was the only one excited about it.  I realized at that moment, that you cannot force gratitude on people.  We can encourage it in our friends and family, nurture it in our children and be an example, but GRATITUDE CANNOT BE FORCED. 

So, here I am 10 years later, remembering that poster and wanting to share a few things I am grateful for.  I got the idea here.   I know myself and I don't think I can do every single day, but I will share with you a few of the little (some bigger than others) things I am finding myself grateful for today.


1. Sisters.  There is NO friend like a SISTER.  I have had girlfriends come and go in my life, but I know that my sisters will ALWAYS be there for me.

2. Pandora.  Who knew radio could be so customizable?


3. My Children.  Who think I am a great mother.  Man, I have them fooled!  But I am grateful that they still think I'm amazing.  I know there will be a time that I will not be #1 or #2 in their eyes, so I will always remember this.

4. The term "hangry".  Now I have something to call that feeling of rage that I feel when I am really, really hungry.


5. Glee!  Those of you who watch this show understand why I am grateful for it. 

6. My husband.  He's good to me and I love him.  I probably don't deserve him, but again, I will take what I can get!

I will wait and post more later.  Hopefully you will take some time in the next few weeks and keep your heart open to recognizing those things that you are  truly grateful for.  I know I will.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Thanks for that reminder. It's always good to be grateful, even if it's not November.

Rachel said...

AWESOME post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monica Fox said...

Love it! Also, do I REALLY need to start watching "Glee?"