About this time I started sending notices, newsletters and emails letting my tenants know that if they didn't turn in a move-out notice 30 days in advance, they wouldn't get a deposit back when they left. I also gave tenants staying through the summer until April 30th to renew their lease.
Today (May 6) is the DAY BEFORE spring move-outs begin. This weekend I have approx. 200 residents moving out. Those who are staying are sometimes shuffled to different apartments to consolidate. Needless to say, it's crazy time!
So this girl (Abby) called me today asking me how much it was going to cost to stay through the summer. THEN, after I told her she asked if she could "defer" her rent for awhile until she got her financial aid. I told her we needed a $200 payment and she could pay the rest when her money came. She then proceeded to tell me that she only had enough money to pay her rent OR her car payment and she was going to pay her car payment. (Serious? You're telling your LANDLORD this???)
It gets better. I've already filled her room with other tenants (paying ones) for the summer. When I told her that if she renewed her lease she would have to move apartments, she went ballistic. She started swearing and telling me that if she was going to pack up her belonging, she was going to just move home to LaVerkin.
- Late fees are real. So are deadlines. If you can't follow directions, you're not going to get ANYWHERE in life.
- Your landlord doesn't HAVE to renew your lease. Especially if you don't pay your rent and you swear at her on the phone.
- Living with 5 other people is sometimes difficult and your mom is not here to help you get along with them. Figure out how to communicate.
- Don't take your roommates car in the middle of the night - she will call the cops and you will go to jail.
- Drinking alcohol when you're not 21 is ILLEGAL!
- Once you are 18, you are held accountable for your actions.
- Don't smoke pot. Your landlord will catch you, and she will call the cops.
- If you park illegally *especially in the Manager's Parking* you risk getting towed. And that pretty much sucks.
So, now you've lived a day in my life. There's never a dull moment around here. Sometimes I feel like I have 300 kids and it's exhausting. Maybe I will start blogging about crazy/interesting/outrageous things that happen around here. I could be blogging everyday. I am learning a lot about myself and my capabilities. I am doing things and experiencing things that I never could have imagined.

7 comments:
Wow Alicia. I don't think I could do your job. It brings back memories of living in college housing and what I witnessed with my neighbors :) (hot boxing the bathroom, the cops being there in the middle of the night, people getting beat up) I of course did NONE of these. But they were some scary times! Good luck with all you do! And keep sharing the stories :)
I would LOVE to hear all of your crazy stories from student housing. I remember the stuff that went on when I lived over there. . .I can only imagine what it is like now!
What a trip! Im sure you have many many stories you could tell us. Bring them on!
Wow....just...wow. People really think like that....crazy stuff. I think you handled it really well though. Here's to hoping your summer and next semester is going to be loads better with all paying students (on time), no pot, no under-age drinking, no parking in the manager spot (really...come on...like you are going to miss that one), and all the rest. Good times.
Wow! What a pain. I'm sure managing student housing can be stressful, but very entertaining.
Wow!! That's crazy!! I don't think I could do your job either! Good luck with it all!
Oh my goodness Alicia!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, being the RA was like the hardest job I've ever had! And those were married "mature" adults!!! It was sooooooooo horrible at times. Wonderful, great and good experiences resulted, but seriously I hated it at times. Good luck with that!!! Loved this story though!
Post a Comment