May 31, 2008

the problem with hollywood...

We saw a movie last night. It wasn't Indiana Jones, or another big Hollywood "blockbuster". This one was genuine, tender and witty. It was an independent film with a little known cast, but very well written script. And I loved it. What is the movie?





LARS and the REAL GIRL


Ryan Gosling (The Notebook) stars as a lonely guy who finally meets the woman of his dreams. Only problem: She's a life-size doll he bought on the Internet. (Are you laughing already?)

There is a need for movies like this in Hollywood. It's sad actually. The movie had a $12.5 million budget, but has only grossed $7.5 with a limited theatrical release and then dvd sales. It's a shame. The film should have done better. I thought it was a creative endeavor. And then Indiana Jones has grossed over $381 million in its first week.

Shameful.
I might stop seeing big Hollywood movies like Indy and Pirates.
Where is the creativity?
Where is the beauty?
Where is the art?

Go rent this movie. I promise you'll like it. Or at least laugh a lot and hopefully appreciate it's originality.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Coool! I love good movie reviews so I'll definitely check it out!