Jul 22, 2008

A return to the past

I was riding my bike one day and realized that cycling has lost a lot of its former glory and tradition. In the midst of my disillusionment, I discovered, with the help of Robert (owner of Recycled and New Bicycles) the wondrous joy of the fixed-gear bike. Now, a fixed-gear bike is not like anything else. It only has one gear, and it doesn't coast. In other words, you can't stop pedaling, so don't even try. As long as the rear wheel is moving, so are the pedals. I know, amazing huh! I know that some of you are suddenly skeptical. To you I say, don't knock it till you try it. It flies up hills, there is no worry about cables and derailers getting all out of tune, because it doesn't have any. You get maximum efficiency out of your pedal stroke, and in essence, become one with your bike, your beautiful, simple bike. So, as I posted before (I just have a picture now), I sold my flashy plastic (carbon fiber) bike, and got me a sturdy steel (and totally smooth ride) old school fixed gear, stripped off all the identifying decals, and went to heaven. I'll stop talking now; click on the bike to enjoy the pictures.


My new fixed-gear bike

1 comment:

*Katie* said...

Congatulations! You spoke so reverently I feel like I should be sending gifts or something ... to befit the occassion! Enjoy!