Sep 7, 2008

The Reason

This post has taken me a few days to write. Read on, and you'll see why.

In the midst of all the exciting things going on in our lives, we've also had some sadness. On Tuesday, August 26th my grandma had a series of strokes and slipped into a coma. She held on until Saturday at 4:15 when she finally passed away.

Her family is scattered all over the country, but many of them were able to come down for her funeral on Wednesday. It was very sad, but we were grateful that she was able to return to live with her Father in Heaven surrounded by so much of her family.

The saddest part is that her companion of 61 years, my grandpa - now has to live without his sweetheart.

My heart aches to think of her passing, but I am grateful for the knowledge that I have that we will be together again someday. What a difference death is - if we realize it is just for a short time that we will be separated from our loved one.


Things I loved about my Grandma:
1. She always put the Lord first in her life.
2. She loved to laugh.
3. She had a deep devotion to her faith, her family and her friends.
4. She never gave up on my Grandpa
5. She had unconditional love for all of her children and grandchildren
6. She found joy in the simple things of life
7. She shared my addiction to magazines
8. She shared my political beliefs - which was rare in our family
9. She always gave what she had to others - which was probably why she never had very much
10. She was diligent in practicing her faith
11. She wrote to me more than anyone else when I was on my mission
12. She loved to eat! Just like me!
13. She always believed in me and believed I would do great things
14. She was an incredible caretaker - always looking after others
15. She was a great friend to so many people.

I love you grandma! Thank you for the legacy you left us!

5 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I have gone through that myself, and it was way hard. Our prayers will be with you. Happy anniversary to you and Ema going to kindergarten! Wow. I think I might cry when that day comes for Kenzi.

Fun with the Fenton's said...

We were so sorry to hear about your Grandma. It is always a difficult period of time in a person's life, but as you said we have the knowledge that we will see them again in Heaven! And you have such wonderful memories that you can enjoy in the meantime!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. I remember her very clearly and her ability to always put on smile on your face. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom and this difficult time.

Take Care,

Jon Amundson

Rachel said...

Ohhh, I'm so sorry!! She looks like such a cute and fun grandma too, you look a lot like her Alicia.

Crawford Family said...

We are so sorry for your loss