Nov 24, 2009

Movie Review: New Moon

I debated all weekend whether I should review a movie that most of you have seen.  Since I enjoy reading reviews of movies I have already seen, I decided to just do it.  I didn't see a midnight or early morning showing this year, but I did see the movie on opening night.  The apartment complex I work for bought out a theater and we gave away tickets to our residents.  I didn't get great pictures, sorry.

I had low expectations for this movie because Twilight was totally under-par in my eyes.  I was excited to see what a new director and a bigger budget would bring to the table, but I still kept my expectations low as to not be disappointed.  So here it is:

For all of you on TEAM EDWARD, I want you to know that this movie accurately portrays why I AM ON TEAM JACOB.  Who wants to cuddle with a sick looking vampire *so what if he glitters in the sun* when you can cuddle with a warm, masculine, sensitive & loyal Jacob?  It's a no-brainer to me.  Ok, moving on.
 

Werewolves:

I loved the new dimension that the wolves have added.  I know that most of you skipped over a lot of this book, but I loved it.  My favorite line in the movie is when Bella meets the pack of wolves and someone says, "Oh yeah.  She's good with weird".  It was great!

Where's Edward?


Another reason I loved this book/movie, is that we get to see Bella live without her brooding love Edward for awhile.  Edward is so serious and dramatic all the time.  If it weren't for Alice and Jasper the Cullens would be a bowl-full -of-boring.  I loved to see Bella's relationship with Jacob grow and even though she can't return the same feelings that Jake has for her, she learns that she has a fondness for him and she's unwilling to live without him in her life. It's tender.  But, poor Jake. 

More Money + New Director = Better Quality

It was completely obvious that Summit gave them more money to produce this movie.  Also, any one who sees New Moon will be able to see why getting rid of Hardwick was a good move (even though it was unintentional).  I am pleased with the result.  The special effects were decent, the directing 10x better than Twilight and the actors have improved their skills a bit since Twilight.  I still think Kristen Stewart hasn't figured out how to control her facial muscles all the way and I still think that Robert Pattinson thinks he's hotter than he actually is, but I was proud of them.  They are both better actors than Twilight.



I'm not going to give anything away to all six of you who haven't seen the movie.  But for those who have, you will understand why these were some of my favorite scenes!


Hmmm.  Who was there to save Bella, this time? 



Oh, Charlie!  You made me laugh during every scene you were in.  Thank You! 



Mike vs. Jake.  ha ha ha. 







I can't wait to see it again!

My grade? A- 

Because if you've read the books, you'll like it. 

If you enjoy vampire movies, this is not your thing. 

If you like sweet, sensitive, non-brooding men with hard ab muscles, you should see this movie.

If you want to jump on the Twilight bandwagon, this is the movie that will hook you. 

If you want something to talk about at the next ward party, family get-together, bookclub or playgroup, SEE THIS MOVIE!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen it yet. Want too, but no baby-sitters yet. Maybe this weekend when we are with family
Anyways, thanks for the review. And oh, the guy that plays Charlie is from Bellingham. Where Steve and I met!

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie! Glad you gave it at least an A-. Now we can still be friends ha,ha! :D

Brooke said...

Loved the movie and loved your review! You crack me up. I am an Edward fan, but in this book and movie I so was a Jacob fan. I think I am just a Taylor fan! ha ha ha

Eve said...

I totally agree with you! Except that I personally think Edward is better only because the kid playing Jacob looks like a kid. I don't care how big your muscles are--I'd feel guilty fantasizing about him with his baby face! I thought the movie was great! I don't know how I feel about Bella--but I didn't really like her in the books either! I loved the whole horror movie stuff. Cracked me up!