Aug 24, 2008

Spanish vs. French

Justin is still in Salt Lake and my in-laws took the kids camping. We are staying at a new place this week, but decided that I should try and go to church. I didn't know what time church was, but in Utah you can usually get lucky at either 9am, 11am or 1pm. I shot for the latter because it gave me the most time to sit around and do nothing. I got dressed and walked in the building. I soon noticed that the hymns were being sung in Spanish and looked around to see that I was the only gringo in the hallway. I didn't stay. I was too embarrassed. I am sure that it wouldn't have mattered, but it just felt wrong.

I really wish I would've learned Spanish instead of French in high school. How many French speaking people are there in America?
Canada, yes.
Utah, no.

2 comments:

Damaris said...

I think I might not have stayed either, and I took Spanish in HS. I just don't remember any of it...

Eve said...

I feel you. My African students speak french--but I'm just not that great so the only thing I say is, "Comment vas-tu?" and then I don't say much of anything else.