Sep 29, 2009

Movie Review: Time Traveler's Wife

Some of the best movies I have seen usually fall into one of two categories -

First, indy flicks. These are those wonderful, eloquent movies that Hollywood doesn't produce. They are usually shot with lower budgets, less well-known actors/directors/writers and are heart-warming and funny. (Juno was one of these. So was Napoleon Dynamite and Lars & the Real Girl)

The second category of worthwhile movies are usually books that have been turned into movies. (ie. The Bourne trilogy, Pride & Prejudice, Gone with the Wind, Twilight, upcoming Lovely Bones that HAS to be good, etc.)

Time Travelers Wife was a good movie and I believe that it's because it was a book first. Although I didn't necessarily like Eric Bana in it, I enjoyed the movie. I actually started reading the book a few years ago, but couldn't get through it (partly because its a hundred thousand pages long and I was trying to go to school full-time). I remember being intrigued by the story of a woman who falls in love with a man who travels through time. I wont give away a lot of details, because I am sure there are still a few of you out there who haven't seen it.

I will say this, though. Be prepared to shed a tear or two. It's not the Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult kind of tears where you feel the author/writer has given you no choice but to cry. These are tender tears as you feel the depth of the love that this woman has for her husband when she says, "I wouldn't change a second of our lives together".

I liked it.
So, if you like movies about time traveling, Eric Bana doesn't bother you or you want to see Rachel McAdams play another grown-up role, then you should see this movie.


My rating? B+


1 comment:

Steve and Donna said...

it was ok- I must admit I was disappointed. Seemed too broken up- esp. with how he appeared each time, etc.