Feb 12, 2010

When in Rome: A Movie Review

Although I would love to blog about my OWN personal experience in Rome, that was YEARS ago and I've long since forgotten the romance of the Trevi Fountain and the mystery of the Vatican.  All I seem to remember was the cloud of cigarette smoke hovering over the city, my constant headache and fear of the gypsies. (Not to mention the Italian men who seem to think every woman is beautiful.  But that's another story for another post.)


Last weekend (I know! I'm SO slow) Justin and I saw When in Rome.  Now, I really HATE that more of you don't a) see movies in the theater or b) don't post your reviews- - because I had absolutely NO idea if I was going to like this movie.  Using deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that since it had a few of A-list actors (Angelica Houston, Danny DeVito, Dax Shephard, Will Arnett, Josh Duhamel) and some B-list (Kristen Bell* who just recently got engaged to Dax!, and Jon Heder) I realized it was worth a try.


Sidenote:



Now, before I begin with my movie review I must tell you of my awful, awful experience that happened just before I saw the movie.  The movie theater we frequent is surrounded by a few restaurants.  Pizza Factory, Bajio, WingStop, Jimmy Johns, just to name a few.  So on this particular night we decided Mexican food was calling our name.  (Literally, I think I heard the Pork Quesadilla calling for me.) Because of this, we decided to hit up Bajio.  
I am saddened to tell you what happened next.  After we had given our orders to the man working behind the counter, Justin looked down and saw a cockroach crawling out of the lettuce.  He said, "Is that a roach"? and I looked down.  Sure enough, it was.  The man behind the counter didn't see it right at first, but it was enough to make us want to gag.  So we turned around and left.  We left Bajio behind forever.  I don't think I will be able to see a Bajio without thinking of the possible cockroach I could have eaten in my salad. We ended up getting Pizza and hitting the movie with a sick feeling still in our stomaches.  
(I have chosen NOT to insert a picture of what the roach looked like to spare your gag reflex)



Back to the Review:
Now, I didn't go to this movie with high expectations.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  It is cheesy at points and a bit predictable, but it was DEFINITELY worth the trip.  I laughed out loud at some points.  So did my husband.  There are some hilarious references to Napoleon Dynamite and Dax Shepard is hilarious as a male model.  


That's all I'm going to tell you, but if you see this movie I would love to hear your thoughts.  Now, remember it is not high quality cinematography, nor do I feel it will win any awards, but if you're looking for a fun romantic comedy with some surprises, then go to ROME.


Tonight we're going to see Valentine's Day and I can't wait, so look for that review tomorrow! 


My Grade?

A good, solid B+

5 comments:

Debra Hawkins said...

Oh my goodness that story makes me want to throw up! Alicia, where are you living now? Seth and I can't agree we both think you ended up in different places. You have WINGSTOP? REALLY? We LOVE, LOVE WINGSTOP!!

Monica Fox said...

funny post. i am so jealous that you guys get to go to movies. however, i am NOT so jealous about that delicious and hilarious roach story. it had to happened to you :)

Michelle said...

going to a movie???? My life would have to include jobs and no young children! Honestly, it might have been 2 years since we ventured to a theater together. However, we may go see Valentines Day tomorrow, so I will wait for your review first. Also, uh, when were you in Rome? I honestly can't remember!

Fun with the Fenton's said...

I also found "When in Rome" to be cute and quite humorous. I went w/a girlfriend and Ron...Ron is not much for a good chick flick, but I also heard a giggle or two from him as well!

Sorry to hear the roach got to your dinner first. Ugh!

Rachel said...

Ooooooo, well I'll just have to rent that one then! A B+, that's pretty good!